In today’s episode of Framework, Jamie talks with Shane Westhoelter, President and CEO of Gateway Financial Advisors, Inc.
Shane joined the financial industry in 1988. Before Gateway Financial Advisors, he was selling life insurance policies door to door. Today, Shane and his team focus on providing dignity planning and comprehensive full financial planning services. Shane believes that we all leave a legacy by default or by design and we must do the planning to get it right.
Shane talks with Jamie about the importance of mentoring, treating the industry as a profession, and building a legacy.
“You need to have your vision. Stay focused on where you’re going, and then stay true to that. Don’t go to the right, don’t go to the left, stay in your lane, stay focused and keep doing what you know works. And if something stops working or you start to. Well, hopefully, you got some coaches or somebody in your ear saying, ‘Hey, get back in your lane.’” ~ Shane Westhoelter
- Get a mentor. Seek guidance from financial advisors that are doing it bigger and better than you. Mentors can help you keep your nose to the grindstone.
- Don’t be afraid to fail and be ready to make sacrifices. You’re never going to reach greater heights if you don’t take risks.
- Hire people with passion, ambition, and a ceaseless desire to learn. Leaders must be patient as they train and onboard new hires. Conversely, don’t be too quick to press the eject button. As much as possible, assess meticulously and guide them if they’re not a good fit in your team.
- Treat the financial service industry as a profession. Either be a student in a pedagogical sense or a student of leadership to excel in the finance realm.
Links and Important Mentions
- Shane Westhoelter on LinkedIn
- Gateway Financial Advisors, Inc
- ALL IN Autographs
- Knights of Columbus Insurance
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (NAIFA)
- Stephen Covey
- Tom Hopkins
- Ron Carson
- Kentucky Derby
- The Hartford
- National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, LLC (NASCAR)
- National Football League (NFL)
- Mike Ditka
- Kurt Warner
- National Basketball’s Association (NBA)
- Charlie Daniels
- World Series
Transform the Way You Grow Your Firm at Excell 2021
Whether you’re just starting in the industry or you manage a billion-dollar firm, Excell 2021 is for you. As one of the largest conferences in the industry, we have a full slate of development opportunities for you and your entire team. Hear from Carson Founder and CEO Ron Carson, best-selling author John DiJulius, Nerd’s Eye View’s Michael Kitces, Framework Host Jamie Hopkins, and plenty more.
Join us October 12-14, 2021, in Las Vegas, or register for our digital-only conference. Register today at https://excellconference.com.