We’re finishing our Home Equity 5-part series with one of the most important conversations – multigenerational conversations about home equity. They are crucial for retirement planning, so let’s talk about them.
In this episode, Jamie Hopkins, Managing Partner of Wealth Solutions, and Ana Trujillo Limón, Director, Coaching and Advisor Content, speak with Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC, Director of Personal Financial Planning, about the importance of incorporating home equity into retirement planning. Dr. Craig emphasizes the need for open conversations about housing plans, the potential emotional attachment to homes, and the role of financial advisors in facilitating these discussions. He also explores the use of reverse mortgages and home sharing as retirement strategies with a hypothetical scenario highlighting the significance of home equity in financial planning and the potential consequences of neglecting this asset.
- Why incorporating home equity into financial planning is important and where advisors are facing hurdles
- Why some parents may feel reluctant to discuss financial worth with their children
- The emotional attachment people have to their homes and its impact on how they see reverse mortgages
- Why advisors need to start thinking about a house in a different framework and context
- The importance of having multigenerational conversations about the future of the property and housing plans in retirement
- The role financial advisors have in facilitating these conversations
- How houses are viewed differently in different cultures
- Alternatives to reverse mortgages, such as home-sharing
- The significance of home equity as America’s largest asset and cash outflow
- And more
- Carson’s Home Equity 5-Part Series with Guests Shelley Giordano & Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC
- Carson’s Home Equity 5-Part Series with Guests Wade Pfau, Ph.D., CFA, RICP® & Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC
- Carson’s Home Equity 5-Part Series with Guests Barry Sacks, J.D., Ph.D., & Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC
- Carson’s Home Equity 5-Part Series with Guests Steve Resch & Craig Lemoine, CFP®, Ph.D., MRFC
- The Golden Girls
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Season 6 Episode 6, Mac’s Mom Burns Her House Down
Connect with Ana Trujillo Limón:
Connect with Craig Lemoine:
About our Guest:
Craig Lemoine is the Director of the Financial Planning Program at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He serves as an Associate Clinical Professor, teaching courses in risk management, retirement, and financial planning. Craig earned his Ph.D. from Texas Tech University in 2013 and currently holds the Certified Financial Planner ™ and Master Registered Financial Consultant™ designations.
This episode of Framework was pre-recorded. At the time of recording, Jamie Hopkins was affiliated with CWM, LLC. Jamie Hopkins is not currently registered with or affiliated with CWM, LLC.
This episode of Framework is purely educational. No products or services will be recommended or offered for sale. The opinions voiced in the Framework podcast are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. To determine what may be appropriate for you, consult with your attorney, accountant, financial or tax advisor prior to investing.
Carson Group is committed to advancing financial literacy. Our coaches work with thousands of FPA members. Schedule a consultation to learn how Carson can help you help your clients and grow your business.