On today’s episode of Framework, Jamie talks with Marques Ogden, former NFL athlete, international keynote speaker, corporate coach, and best-selling author.
Throughout his childhood, Marques’ father taught him money lessons. By the time he landed in the NFL and, for the first time, had real money to manage, Marques knew how to plan, how to save, and where to invest.
After witnessing the toll professional sports took on his brothers’ health, Marques retired and started the next chapter of his career. The first few years following professional football were a bit of a roller coaster. But Marques learned invaluable lessons about life and business with every success and setback. Eventually, Marques realized he could use his past mistakes to help others avoid them. So he began his career as a professional speaker and business consultant.
Marques talks with Jamie about the importance of social marketing, having humility at every level, tips for a powerful speech, and learning how to pivot.
“I realized that I broke the cardinal rule of business. I don’t care if you’re in financial planning, I don’t care if you’re in law, I don’t care if you’re in technology, I don’t give a damn what you do. I broke the cardinal rule of business. I started treating people as commodities. Not people as human beings and as valued assets that run the business.” ~ @Marques_Ogden
- Professional athletes need to remember that, despite your love for the game, sports is always a business first. It’s important to keep that in mind before jumping into a career as an athlete.
- Don’t let your ego get in the way of your success as you begin climbing the ladder. No matter your position in a company or organization, when you stop listening to your employees and treating them with respect, you’ll falter every time.
- Referrals and networking calls will only get you so far. You must have a strong social presence to grow your business. And you can’t just have an Instagram page with a few tired posts. You have to bring emotion and authenticity to your audience.
- Great keynotes require passion followed by action steps. One without the other is either a lecture or a hollow pep talk.
Links and Important Mentions
- Marques Ogden
- Marques on LinkedIn
- Marques on Twitter
- Marques on Instagram
- Howard University
- Goldman Sachs
- Bank of America
- Merrill Lynch
- JP Morgan Chase
- Western Governors University
Transform the Way You Grow Your Firm at Excell 2021
Whether you’re just starting out in the industry or you manage a billion-dollar firm, Excell 2021 is for you. As one of the largest conferences in the industry, we have a full slate of development opportunities for you and your entire team. Hear from Carson Founder and CEO Ron Carson, best-selling author John DiJulius, Nerd’s Eye View’s Michael Kitces, Framework Host Jamie Hopkins, and plenty more.
Join us October 12-14, 2021, in Las Vegas, or register for our digital-only conference. Register today at https://excellconference.com.